Thursday, April 19, 2007

This North Coast Weekend

The indefatigable Rudi Galindo and members of his newly forming Latino Theater Collective present an original work, Esperando la Luna at the Dell'Arte's outdoor Rooney Amphitheatre this weekend, Friday to Sunday (April 20-22) at 8PM. Described as a "lighthearted evening of mime and comedy with a hint of pathos," this final production of the Dell' Arte Los Puentes Project is previewed by Wendy Butler in the ER and Jonathan Glen in the T-S. It sounds like it will be an eye-opening and entertaining evening of theatre.

The Rocky Horror Show continues at Ferndale Rep. Barry Blake in the T-S calls it "the best entertainment around." He awards it Four Cookies. (I made that part up.) Laura Provolt in the ER calls it a "ghastly giggle."

I recall seeing those long lines for the Rocky Horror Picture Show in the 1970s in Cambridge, and in western PA and just about everywhere I traveled in the early 80s. But though I've seen (and heard) snatches of it from various TV segments, I never quite got around to seeing the movie. I can imagine it would be very theatrical on stage, and I can certainly imagine that a lot of people will enjoy it (particularly those who know the movie or want to know it more than I do) but I doubt that I'd have anything to say about it.

Also continuing this weekend in the Van Duzer Theatre (Thurs.-Sat. at 7:30) is the HSU spring dance show, Suffusion , which no one has written about, except me, here. Saturday is the Silent Auction, with proceeds going to fund student trips to a national dance convention and to bring guest dancers and dance teachers to the North Coast.

No comments: