Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Elizabeth Fuller's Dream Houses

Dream Houses

Update: Elizabeth Fuller responds in the Comments at the end of this post.


In a recent interview, playwright Tom Stoppard reinterated a view on reviewing that he's held since his first interviews in the early 70s: that the job of reviewers is to express the effect the play had on them the night they saw it. (As a young writer, Stoppard was a theatre reviewer, a contemporary of Kenneth Tynan. This is an old English tradition. H.G. Wells and George Bernard Shaw first met after a play by Henry James they were each reviewing for different newspapers.)

It's a point of view I take seriously, and basically agree with, although with various amendments. (Okay, you can count up the "view"s now.) For example, the night I saw Dream House at the Arcata Playhouse, I had a kind of allergy attack, which distracted me, and colored my experience of the play. But it would be irresponsible to let it color it too much in writing about the play. And although I was interested in meeting Elizabeth Fuller and hearing the experience of other playgoers at the reception afterwards, I had to go straight home. What if I'd stayed? That would not have changed my experience of the performance, but might well have suggested different ways to approach it in writing.

Stoppard was also talking about the typical newspaper reviewing situation, in which you're writing a review right after the show for the next day's paper. I usually have a few days before my weekly deadline, and with a play like this one, time is useful in letting impressions settle and some idea of the pattern of the play emerge. But I find that even several days is not enough to do more than make tentative conclusions. So one does fall back on immediate impressions--but ones that have lasted a few days, and become the most prominent.

Yet the journalist in me wants to be more "accurate" than that. The review is above all a piece of writing in a newspaper, meant to be read for all the reasons other stories are read--because it's informative and entertaining in itself. But communicating to an audience that is at least partly composed of people who can see the play themselves is not the same thing as talking about your own impressions as if yours were the accurate ones, or even representative. All of this is partly why I insist I'm writing a theatre column, and not theatre reviews.

Now it's been nearly a week since I saw Dream House, and another way to organize my impressions has emerged. That is, I absorbed this "through-line" of the play but other impressions were more dominant: this through-line is the self as a collection of voices talking to the central "me," and their ultimate effect is to produce and impose shame.

Carl Jung and doubtless other psychologists and philosophers believed that each of us is many people. Probably James Hillman would say that's why early civilizations had so many gods. The voices in our heads also include important outside influences: everything from parents and partners to "society."

The conceit of the play is that it's come time for the "me" to create a home. Which we always want to be our "perfect" home: the dream house. But what is perfect? Not the self. But how we arrange our imperfections becomes our creativity, and our self. Accepting, honoring and celebrating that becomes the conclusion.

From the beginning, the play is also structured as literally a dream. The house is the self, perhaps with some reference to the "earth household" of the world, and also to the play itself--because that's what the stage is, in performance: a dream house.

The voices are represented as sisters, a very theatrical device that allows Elizabeth Fuller to create characters with separate voices and physicalities. The "me"--the one the other voices are talking to-- in the beginning is "Bozo," a nickname but also the "me" characterized as a clown. As stage business, I frankly found this annoying, but conceptually it sort of works. The clown's comedy is about awkwardness, though the pratfalls can be thrillingly graceful and daring. The central character is very awkward, anxious and uncertain. That, as well as other elements of her personality, invites shaming.

The idea of shame is brought home near the end, very powerfully, when she strips naked and presents a rapid-fire series of angry and contemptuous comments about her body, as if coming from all the other voices in her head. It's the least gratuitious nude scene I've ever seen. It was intriguing to me that throughout the play she used wigs and clothing to never allow herself to appear conventionally attractive. Then she was naked, with sagging belly (and being of roughly her age, this really made me wince.) But immediately afterwards, she put on a shift which left only her attractive legs naked, and took off the wig that revealed blond hair and, in sum, a quite attractive woman. At the time I found this another dislocation, and a puzzling one. But it does seem to follow the arc of the play. With self-acceptance, beauty.

That what screws us up in life is being "shamed," or made ashamed of who we are and what we do, is not exactly a new idea. Intellectually, I suppose I felt a bit cheated about that. But this is a play, not an idea. It's a performance, and that's its emotional power.

I suspect most of the audience responded primarily to the "sisters"--the portrayals of the Developer, the Plumber, the Dreamer, the Inspector, the Gambler, the Slut. Those were very skillfully done, and they are the meat and potatoes of the show. When I wrote my comments for my column, I was still bothered by what I felt were lost opportunities to make the various levels of "house" more vivid, and I was still feeling negative responses to some other structural elements and stage business. But without seeing it again, I can only be very tentative about that. Who knows, it could have been allergies.

I hope we will see Elizabeth Fuller back here again. Chances are we will. With her husband and theatrical partner Conrad Bishop, she operates out of Sebastopol as The Independent Eye. Her credits are amazing-- some 3,000 performances, 32 seasons of 73 shows, including 52 new plays. Together they've written some 60 produced plays. From Milwaukee to Chicago to Philadelphia to CA, with prestiguous visits to the Meccas of Louisville and New York, such commitment to theatre is awe-inspiring.

1 comment:

BK said...

Elizabeth Fuller emailed me this response. I asked if I could include it here as a comment, and she agreed. So here it is:

Hello, William Kowinski -

David Ferney was kind enough to forward links to both your column and your blog - I really appreciated the fact that you kept thinking about and wrote a second piece (in the blog). In what is only half-joking, I often refer to our work as velcro theatre (things get stuck to it) or burr theatre (it sticks with you), or at least that's what we hope happens. The language and imagery are very fast and highly compressed, and a lot of viewers find that things pop up later in memory that whizzed past in performance. Thanks for the time you spent.

It's interesting that shaming came through as the predominant theme - Bette, the building inspector, is certainly doing that in spades. The Developer, the Plumber, and the Gambler aren't very respectful, either, but in playing them I feel it's very offhanded, without actual intent to cause pain, whereas Bette's purely savage. With the Dreamer, the only shame I can identify is that she gets Bozo to commit to something she can't possibly accomplish,but only because it's such a beautiful set of ideas that it *ought* to be possible. And the Slut is full-tilt about enjoyment and acceptance and deep-sixing shame - that's how she can talk Bozo into disrobing, and why her voice is absent from the negative criticisms. These sisters aren't the totality of my sub-units, but
they're the ones we found most stageworthy. I think that for me the central action of Dream House is coming out from behind the
protective masks that developed as either coping mechanisms or as, in the case of Bette, internalization of the savage mother. By the end, having survived the unendurable, something new comes into being.

I still recall vividly the moment when my mother hauled off to hit me (I was 39) and I unexpectedly burst out laughing. She couldn't
follow through. I don't know which of us was more surprised by the laughter. That was the moment when I started to grow up.
I don't remember at what point we began to see the central persona as a clown. I'd done lots of comedy but never any clown work, so the idea came from some other wig-bubble. But it felt right, and then fate handed me the opportunity to do an intensive workshop with Giovanni Fusetti, so there you go. In his teaching, your own unique clown is the distillation of your own quintessential stupidity - you then own it, wear it, share it without embarrassment or cover-ups, and cap it off with your nose. It's been fun. And it offered a clear contrast not only to the cartoon sisters but to the persona who comes out from under the wig.(When I was a kid, my mother cut off my long ponytail and for ages my hair looked like Bozo's.)

Thanks again for the writing. And as a side-note, you should only see all the things my belly can look like. The repertoire runs from the round Biblical heap of wheat to ridgy muscle to shar-pei pleats, and what happens at a given moment depends mostly like what I'm doing with my muscles. Bozo, in her moments of misery, isn't posing for swimsuit ads.

Cheers - Elizabeth Fuller