Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Lunts


In the review below, I mention this couple: "I’d call them the North Coast Lunts if I thought anyone knew anymore who the Lunts were." So this isn't Bob and Lynn Wells, but Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontaine, known as the Lunts--the most famous American acting team, who starred in more than two dozen Broadway plays from the 1920s into the 1950s. They did Shakespeare, Chekhov and Shaw, and contemporary playwrights. They're especially famous for how well they worked together and how quickly they picked up each other's lines, especially in Noel Coward. Coward wrote Design for Living for them, and for himself as their co-star. The Lunt Fontaine Theatre on Broadway is named for them. But I have to admit that I first heard of them when Holden Caulfield goes to a matinee of one of their shows in Catcher in the Rye.

No comments: